Monday, October 1, 2012

The Self-Fulfilling Prophecy

It all started when Kennedy was sick last. She doesn't get sick often, but this one week in particular she had a croupy cough and couldn't speak for sputtering and gagging. Lets say she was 4. Or 5. I know it wasn't yesterday so sometime before then. I felt so bad for her and offered to give her something for it. She nodded - at this point she was sick of coughing. I got out the Buckleys. Now, I have never been a parent to lie to my kids and so I began telling her that it was REALLY awful. I told her it was SO awful that she would shiver to the floor. I told her that as a member of this family, if she was going to try to take Buckley's, then it was mandatory that she do it in front of EVERYONE. She vowed. She was so willing! She grabbed the medicine out of my hand and chugged 'er. Wow. I was in tears laughing at her silly shake and the ensuing tongue hanging out of her mouth as she proclaimed "Much Better."

I began telling the world that Kennedy can eat ANYTHING. "Kennedy will try ANYTHING you put on her plate!" and "My Kennedy is such a good and adventurous eater."

At friends' houses or Grandma Jones', Kennedy would proclaim, "I eat that. I eat ANYTHING."

Now, at age seven years and six months...Kennedy DOES eat anything. She eats slowly, but she eats anything. I just got to thinking about this as I made her school lunch of broccoli and an egg salad sandwich and water. She will be thrilled with her egg salad tomorrow; Will likely be the highlight of her day.

Now. Roar. He is getting to be pickier and pickier. I comment all the time to people that Rory is such a big eater but "Rory doesn't like ANYTHING!" (say this in a Robert Munsch voice) I made homemade soup and said to his auntie who was babysitting "He likely won't eat it."

Now Rory sits down at the table and says, "I won't like it." "Mom, through my microscope I noticed a speck of green 'something' " "Mom I am pretty sure this will make me puke."

At this point I will enjoy a small giggle thinking about how he responds to Grandma's cooking...."It doesn't taste like Mom's!" I say it is Karma for all the times her son says it to me :)

I can't jog. I have too short of legs. My bad hip would ache after. It is too dusty out. I have too much homework. For 10 years I have lived up to my own beliefs. So, after contemplating the way my kids respond to our daily direct and indirect reactions, I decided to try something new. On Friday I decided I could jog. I decided that it is beautiful out. I decided that it gets my kids active by coming along on their bikes. I decided that Steve would give me lots of back rubs and leg rubs if I jogged (right?!) Tonight marks 3 nights in a row that I have jogged 1/2 mile and then sped walked 1/2 mile. Next week I know I will go a bit further because I am a good jogger.

And Rory...He is the best eater in the world. Rory eats EVERYTHING I give him. He especially loves Liver and Onions  ;)


1 comment:

  1. Okay, I like all of your posts but this one is my favourite. I have read it several times and it still makes me giggle. Tonight I read it to Jay and he laughed too. We decided we have a very talented friend :)

    ReplyDelete