Wednesday, October 31, 2012

DeDe McGee

Kennedy got the new Taylor Swift CD today (Uncle Jeff is a pretty darn awesome Uncle). We rocked it out all the way to Brandon to see Grandma Manns in the hospital. Kennedy realized that the CD insert has song lyrics in it. She then proceeded to read me every song title and sing every song in it's entirety. On the way home tonight, I asked "DeDe, are you still awake" only because I wanted to hear what the song was called that was playing.  She didn't answer. Both kids were snoring away. Which gave me some sort of permission to start pondering the world without any interruption. I love Escaping in the Escape...

First thought: I need to come up with something amazing for tomorrow's class to make up for my awfully sickish day today (But I am feeling better now, thank you).

Second thought: I need to pack lunches...why oh why didn't I just pick up some Timmies?

Third thought: "WHY AM I LETTING SCHOOL CLOUD OVER MY OTHER THOUGHTS ALL THE TIME?!?!?!?!"

- Squirrel - A deer was in the ditch.

New Topic: DeDe... It flipped out of my mouth so fluently. I call her DeDe all the time. No one else really does. Why does it work for me? When we were pregnant with her (who are we kidding, when I was pregnant, not WE), we had played with her name and contemplated what sort of nicknames could be made out of such an awesome name. Kenny just never worked. Ken never worked. One day when Kennedy was a baby I showed her some chickadees outside. After imitating them for her a few times, I flipped out with "Kennedee dee dee dee." (because I am bit 'like' that). It stuck. DeeDee became DeDe became DeDe McGee...and I am one of the only ones that gets away with it. Rory even gets put in his place if he calls her that. And yet, no one seems to stop me.

Jeff calls me Reg. Not Rej..."Rag." I have never even really payed attention to it but I did notice it when someone else called me Reg. I kind of stopped in my tracks and thought "WHAT? Only JEFF calls me that."  At the same time, it is an endearing thing that only special people in my life flip out with.

I have no intelligent conclusion to make about this. Just my thoughts. Nicknames can be very endearing and I am so pleased to have my grown up DeDe singing songs to me from the backseat. Watching this large DeDe unfold from her chair at the table, or drink tea with a blanket wrapped around her on Sunday mornings makes me take time to ponder with amazement about the young woman she is becoming right before my very eyes. If you don't have a DeDe...you need to get one!

And I just spent 1/2 hour thinking about something other than school.

1 comment:

  1. Isn't it insane?? I feel like that about Jordan - where did the funny little girl go, and who is this long, lean, smart funny big girl who seems to have taken her place? We've got loads of nicknames here too - but most are only used by me. She answers to anything I call her and doesn't seem to notice it's not just "Jordan."

    ReplyDelete