Friday, October 12, 2012

A Decade Worth of Wisdom

I remember when my Aunt and Uncle made 10 years of marriage. I was dating Steve at the time. I remember thinking "Wow! That is FOREVER! How exciting for them!"

And now I am at that milestone with my husband. We are too young to claim it has been FOREVER. I am not old like they must have been at 10 years of marriage....

So, with our 10 years of married wisdom, I have decided I have no right to tell anyone what makes a perfect marriage. I am too young to be that wise. I will also likely be too young after 40 years of marriage to tell you what makes it work.

That being said, I have a pretty good notion that 40 years will be upon us in the blink of an eye. So here is my wisdom at 10 years. I will compare this with my wisdom at 40.

How to Stay Married When you are Complete Opposites:

1) Lace underwear.

Just sayin'

2) A healthy sense of humor.

3) CELEBRATE your anniversary EVERY year in some way.

4) Sing in the vehicle together.

5) Try new things. (Okay, get your mind out of the gutter, this is NOT related to the lace underwear. I was meaning more 'Take a Trip to Vegas' ... oh wait! There is a lot of lace underwear in Vegas....)

6) Be the most stubbornest couple. When someone says you can't/won't...say "we can."

7) Accept that even though everything is "ours," that the Escape's radio system belongs to your wife. In the truck, it sometimes belongs to the husband.

8) Have your anniversary carved into the mirror above the sink (and then casually bring up what the date is during the entire week in advance)....don't judge, I got a dozen roses for the first time ever with this technique.

9) Force yourself to go on shopping trips as an entire family...those kids you made are a huge part of your marriage...and this is a great activity for helping you appreciate the quiet moments a bit more.

10) Surround yourselves with good role models.

Happy 10th Anniversary to Steven who doesn't even read my Blog. I am looking forward to our night out celebrating tonight (and I especially love the roses!)


3 comments:

  1. He must of brought those in after I left lol! Good for him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait wait wait, aren't you like, 25? lol. Kidding.

    Happy Anniversary!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, when you're with him, in a vehicle, EVERY radio belongs to you!

    ReplyDelete