Saturday, September 21, 2013

The iKid

Someday we are going to fight a lot. A LOT. But most days I can appreciate the strong willed, independent nature of my daughter.

My Grandma said today that no wonder Rory is so free spirited...I have been raising my kids to explore and be be adventurous and to be....free spirited...

Um...so I am a bad parent?

She assures me I am not, but that I am always much too worried about being one.

Tonight I got a text. I opened up my phone to see it was from DeDe McGee. There is a voice mail attached. So clever she is to have figured out that she can just record herself and send it instead of texting. 

She begins by explaining that Rory really wanted her to read Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. I know that this REALLY means that Kennedy just wanted to play on the iPad because that is where the book is. She goes on to say that since they were reading it without me (because we have been reading it together), she would just tell me everything that happened in the chapter they had just read. She then decides that maybe she should just READ me the chapter (this is all decided in her very long voice message). She then proceeds to read.

"Rory..LET....GO"...keeps on reading....."LET GO!!!!" ..... keeps on reading....in the background I hear..."KENNEDY LET ME HAVE IT!!!"  fumble, rustling, mumbling...keeps on reading.

And then I get this text after the voice message:

"Sorry about that Mom, Rory thought he should have the iPad, but I explained to him that you needed to know what was going on in the story for when you come home."

Wow. Defending the iPad from a perilous journey into the room of Rory, keeping me up to date on Mr. Wonka, AND a typical bedtime routine despite miles between us. Guess my free spirited children aren't turning out so badly after all. What a wonderful way to end my trip to Winnipeg. I can't wait for morning to see them and hear all about those silly little "Oompa Loompa's" in chapter who knows what.

No comments:

Post a Comment