Sunday, July 30, 2017

Auntie

While kayaking with my oldest niece today, I was reminded how blessed I am and how wonderful a child's perspective can be. The next best thing to being a Mom is being an Auntie.

Me: Kadence, I haven't seen you in a long time because Uncle Steve and I were on a trip...What is new?

K: I HAVEN'T seen you in awhile. Were you on your Iceland trip?

Me: (Surprised that she even knows about this) No, that is not for awhile yet. Did you find Iceland on your globe at home?

K: Oh, yes! It is little! I think you can kayak when you get there.

Me: (once again surprised at this little minion's awareness...) For sure! I will be kayaking there for sure. I am excited to go, but I sure will miss you (kiss her head). I get to see volcanoes too!

K: Wow! What year is it that you are going? I think I will come with you. Auntie, I would be a great trip taker.



I am almost in tears, and grinning ear to ear at this point. We are out in the kayak, just the two of us. The sun is shining and the water is still and this kid is breaking my heart in all the right ways. Of course you will be a good travel companion, kid. I know it. Someday, you can hop on that plane with me. I can't wait. Keep studying that old globe (maybe I'll buy you one that doesn't have the "Soviet Credit Union" on it.) 😁

No comments:

Post a Comment