Sunday, August 24, 2014

The YES year

Time for an update. I just realized I haven't wrote for a very long time. I have nothing exciting to offer my opinions on and nothing to rant about, but that is okay. Sometimes the best thing in life is just being. I just read over my Summer Bucket List and smiled remembering the completion of ALMOST every single one of those things. What a summer. I can't remember a summer with as much fun as this one.

The thing about summer is that it ends. My favorite month is September. I was so excited to finally turn 30 last year (I am the baby in our little circle of friends) and I vowed that during my 31st year I would live my life like no other year. I would conquer my anxiety issues and I would teach my kids that trying new things can be fun, exciting and worthwhile. I promised myself on Sept.8, 2013, that I would say YES to everything. This included kayaking which was a serious issue when you consider my fear of water. Because I use this page as my little online journal I want to highlight some of the BEST things to have come from my 31st year.

1) I had my first ever teaching job. I worked with a man who I admire and respect despite our different teaching styles. I am sad to not be sharing a classroom with him again. In fact, I am very anxious to not have a class to attend or to prepare for this fall. I know that everything happens for a reason and I am excited to see what this next year has in store for my career. I told Steve that if I did not have a job this fall that it would mean I was meant to be an author. He rolled his eyes but YES, maybe I should start on this crazy venture after all. Get all the stories onto paper...

2) Kayaking. Wow. This is one awesome sport and so good for the soul. Kim asked me to come kayaking one day. I said YES. Whether I was watching Rory master the blue kayak we bought or smiling as Kennedy pulled a friend behind her in it, or whether I was bumping into Kim and learning how to relax when there are little waves - this sport has become a new favorite.

3) Lazy Friday: Okay this has always been an important day in my life, but I have come to appreciate the wonderful people in my life even more this year. We are so lucky. For those that don't know, Lazy Friday is our tradition out here in Firdale. The thing about Lazy Friday is this: There are no rules. We are lazy. Sometimes Lazy Friday is just us ladies. Sometimes it is everyone in the neighborhood. Sometimes we even have Lazy Friday on Sunday! The most important part though is that we are together. It doesn't matter what kinds of fun and excitement we have planned during the week, there is nothing better than the text message "Lazy Friday tonight?"  "YES!" No matter who hosts, it is like coming home...A sigh of relief as we relax in my unorganized kitchen, or on Tammy's front step, at Kim's kitchen island, or in E6 at Shady Oaks. Kids, laughs and good eats.

4) Hockey Hair. I have become a more relaxed parent this year. They are kids. They are not perfect. Kennedy's nails are not always painted. Sometimes her hair looks like a rat's nest. For almost the entire month of July she wore the same dress. Ew. Rory decided on hockey hair and I have no problem telling people that YES he likes it and YES, I like it and no he is not getting a hair cut. So stop asking. I love his love of sports and enjoyed MANY Wheat King games and Penguin games (on television) with him this year. I guess in my 31st year, I also fell in love with hockey.

5) Baseball. I was terrified to take our little rec baseball team and put it back into a league. With good friends helping out and their constant encouragement, I was able to watch our little Rookies go from not knowing which way to run around the bases to one kid making a double play at our wind up YES! (high five). What a great group of kids and a great group of parents!

6) Fitness. I don't ever want to be posting what I do for exercise each day but I made a goal to become more physically active and to encourage my kids to be a part of it. I bought a beautiful new bike and I started running. YES, I will run in a glo-run this fall. My kids have done a triathlon and are doing their second in Portage on Sept.7.

7) I became an auntie again. 'nuff said. Let's hope that my 32nd year brings some more nieces and or nephews. I need to make more time to head north to see this precious gem. I am lucky to spend many hours with my other niece who turned 1 during my 31st year. YES I would like a nephew and maybe some more nieces Scott and Jeff!!!

8) I bought a ride on mower for the first time! This wasn't really something that I said YES too...but it was awesome anyway. I am now in love with mowing grass. "Regan, would you like a ride on mower? YES, I would, thank you."

9) By accident, a pumpkin plant became planted by my front door. Normally, I would have pulled it. I said YES when my kids asked if we could keep it. It has now taken over the entire front of my house. It is an hilarious addition to my YES plan. I can't wait to see if we actually have pumpkins this fall. This has been a lesson in patience and laughter...Going with the flow.

I have done so much this year. I am so excited for the next year. I have many goals. I want to take my cross country skiing coaches course, I want to watch more hockey, I want to conquer my little world with more YES answers. Nikki just asked me to play Rec Soccer. Normally, I would have shied away from such an idea...but YES has become a pretty powerful answer and I have learned that it is exciting to try something new. I also want to learn how to hook up the camper without help....wish me luck!

4 comments:

  1. Aw, sounds like you had an awesome year! Hope you have a fun birthday and another great year. :)

    Although, the year following your 30th birthday is actually your 31st year... (I know, I'm awful)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an encouraging read, Regan! Your attitude to what gets set in your path for better or worse is inspiring. I wish you another fulfilling year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay... So this is the third time I am trying to respond to this message and YES I am getting frustrated. Lol

    Yes this was a great summer

    Yes you will work this year just e patient

    Yes kayaking was awesome ( cause I was there). We had so much fun at Jackson's lake this year keeping our kids busy and active. They are really good at kayaking. Looking forward to doing it again next year.

    Yes hockey hair is cute ( but not on Dawson)

    Yes lazy Friday is te best part of the week. Just wish we joined you more often

    Yes keeping the kids busy and active has been a chore at times but has helped us stay off of the couch. Lol

    Yes running is going to kill me but I will stick at it. I'm nothing if not stuborn. ( maybe you did not know that about me lol)

    Yes our circle of friends is wonderful and keeps everything exciting. Thanks for always being a YES friend.

    See you at the zip line.

    ReplyDelete