Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Love That Boy

I am reading a book to the grade 4s that was inspired by this poem. The book is called Love That Dog by Sharon Creech but I was drawn to the poem.

Love That Dog by Sharon Creech
Love This Boy by Walter Dean Myers
Love that boy,
like a rabbit loves to run
I said I love that boy
like a rabbit loves to run
Love to call him in the morning
love to call him
"Hey there, son!"

He walk like his Grandpa,
Grins like his Uncle Ben.
I said he walk like his Grandpa,
And grins like his Uncle Ben.
Grins when he’s happy,
When he sad, he grins again.

His mama like to hold him,
Like to feed him cherry pie.
I said his mama like to hold him.
Like to feed him that cherry pie.
She can have him now,
I’ll get him by and by

He got long roads to walk down
Before the setting sun.
I said he got a long, long road to walk down
Before the setting sun.
He’ll be a long stride walker,
And a good man before he done.


Rory is the scientist of the day tomorrow...we debated all weekend what to do. Then I re-read the newsletter (I hadn't lost it yet) and realized that all of our really cool ideas did not fit the criteria. We debated learning the science behind the hockey stick and then we were going to be paleontologists. The project had to be related to water. Behold...we made it rain! He was a bit nervous to be on video (unlike Ms. Dee) but ran and put on a dress shirt and the more we talked, the more excited he became, and the video turned out better than he ever imagined. He is all giggles about our slow motion rain drop. ALSO IMPORTANT: He is finally getting the hockey hair-do he is after and wants everyone to notice that he has a slight flip behind his ear now. My favorite part of this was Rory taking ownership. He so often has to listen to Ms. Science Experimenter boss him around when we do stuff like this and he thoroughly enjoyed telling her she had to stay out of this one. The satisfied look he gives me through the kettle handle when we catch the rain drop is the look that made this night so special. Love This Boy. Like May clouds like to rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment