Thursday, September 27, 2012

The Pavement Hurts My Feet...and other confessions from Mr.Hyde

So I live a double life. I think Steve is somewhat entertained at the many stages of Regan throughout the day. In fact, I don't think he knows which one he likes best:

6:00a.m. - Regan emerges from the warm blankets looking ever so spry and ready for the day...yawn....
7:00a.m. - Regan walks out the door in dress pants (which always bring a whistle from the peanut gallery) and lipstick and earrings.

....Time goes by....

1:30 p.m. - Regan arrives home looking educated and invigorated from her journey through Early Years  pedagogy (hey! We don't actually have any kids to watch yet.)

1:32 p.m. - Dr.Jekyl appears. Regan appears in the kitchen in paint covered jeans with holes in them (and I didn't even buy them that way!!!) and bare feet and a ponytail with a blue jays t-shirt that is also covered in paint. One would think she was a very busy painter! With a grilled cheese in hand.

10:00p.m. - zzzzzzzzzzzz...pyjamas........zzzzzzzz

Now, those who have actually read the book would wonder why I chose to call the grubby home Regan Dr.Jekyl, when clearly student Regan sounds a bit more cheery and on-the-ball. Here is the thing about the city though...the pavement hurts my feet. The noise hurts my ears. The sirens scare me. The people there stress too much about the little things. I feel a little crazy when I leave the city. That being said...I love the opportunities that the city holds! So much life and adventure. Plus, the added bonus of good friends.

And so for the entire month of September, I feel as though I live the life of Dr.Jekyl and Mr. Hyde. Steve is not sure which one he likes best, and sometimes I don't either.  Then comes the breath of crisp October and I realize that Dr.Jekyl and Mr. Hyde are the same person. I can be both people. I can appreciate the city life I lead every morning AND I can come home to bake cookies and roam the pasture trails with my chicklets. What a happy balance. In fact, instead of destroying myself with mystical potions, I think I will just be Regan.

2 comments:

  1. Nice post!

    I live in Portage and I must say I miss a smaller town. I lived in the country near Austin for only 5 years, and I really miss that. We took the kids to island park today and we went walking through the leaves and the trees with the kids and watched them jump from rock to rock and catch ants and not care about the dirt, and I really really wish we lived on a cute little acreage in the country side.

    I totally get coming home from the city and putting on your holy jeans and scrunchy!

    ReplyDelete